Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day 190 - Pleasing

The best part of church today was when Pastor Rick spoke about how we do not need anyone's approval to be happy. If you have not gotten someone's approval after years of trying, you will never get it because that person is unpleaseable. And that it is their problem, not yours. You do not need their approval, so let it go.

I am the One who comforts you! So why are you afraid of mere human, who wither like the grass and disappear? -Isaiah 51:12 (NLT)


Jesus: "Your approval or disapproval means nothing to me." -John 5:41 (NLT)


I have to admit, when I heard that church would be about why trying to please everyone is a trap, I thought that Mark really needed to go. I wanted to hear it too, but for some reason I thought this would be more up his alley. Boy was I wrong. I needed this sermon. It was interesting to know that so much of what I have been working on and letting go of this year was right. That I am on a good path. That I have tried, but that it's time to let go of wanting to please people who hurt me. That spending your life pleasing others just keeps you from growing in faith. And that being authentic, truthful, and courageous is more important that what someone else thinks about your convictions.

You can't please everyone (and you shouldn't want to).


 

No comments:

Post a Comment