Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day 10 - Gratitude

I am reading a book called One Thousand Gifts that is about being thankful in all circumstances. Not an easy task, right? My hubby and I found ourselves in a situation this week where we thought that we would receive more money than what we actually got. You have all been there, right? A situation where you were disappointed by an outcome that you were counting on. I can think of this type of scenario not just financially, but emotionally, spiritually, and relationally. When I realized what happened I immediately felt panicked. What am I going to do? What happens next? Why did this have to happen? This book has really ingrained in me that the best way to get through the frustrations and anger is by being thankful. And, so right away I switched my thinking, and I was. I immediately thanked God for the source of any income. For the person who printed the check in my hand. For the ability right now to pay at least one bill. I thanked Him for all of the lessons He taught us last year and for ability to live on much less. I thanked Him for all the blessings He gives us every single day. In the midst of my mini crisis, I was whole. I was understanding. I was calm. I knew it would be okay.

I love that the author really stresses that you find joy in life by being thankful for what you already have. She uses so many instances as a mother, where she changes her thinking in a not-so-great moment with her kids, and it completely changes her heart. She learns so much more. Continual gratitude brings grace, joy, and acceptance. When someone hurts you, tell God all of the things you are grateful for in your life. When you are angry, be thankful. When your heart hurts more than you can bear, find a blessing somewhere around you, even if it's just a little bit of moonlight.

I have mentioned this before, but one of the things that got me through last year was the complete awareness that if everything I have financially can be taken away, so can everything that I love dearly. Including my children's health, our safety, and our shelter. Every time I prayed for help, I thanked him for those things first. I saw that gratitude for what I had changed my heart, but I never saw it in the small things. That when my daughter is throwing a tantrum, I need to thank God for her precious life and all of the things I love about her. That when plans do not work as expected, I need to be thankful for my time on earth and the people I share it with. Gratitude allows the heart to relax so that you can handle life's stresses easier.

I have tried it, it works. Trust me.

A life full of gratitude gives you the peace to put hope back into the center of your life; where pressures and anxiety try to control us. I am certainly not thankful enough for the beauty and blessings around me, but I can try to have more gratitude. I will try every day.

2 comments:

  1. LOVED that book, it inspired me to start my own journal of gratitudes. She is an awesome writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm buying that book ASAP! :) Amanda this post was beautifully written! I'm grateful for your blog!

    ReplyDelete