Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day 103 - Praying for a future

I have always heard of people praying for specific things. Maybe for years they would pray for a house of their own and they would pray over a list of things that they really wanted with it. And down the road this perfect house would randomly come into their lives. Or people pray for a specific amount of money for something important and it comes through. Or maybe a job or path they have always dreamed of and suddenly a door opens. I have never prayed like that, except out of desperation to pay a bill. I have never prayed for something in my heart that I really want, because doing so means you are not just praying for something in the moment, but you are praying for your life down the road. It's like praying for your children's future spouse and children. It's a whole new level and it reflects your relationship with God. You have to have a relationship to be that intimate and to look to the future with God in everything that you do. It's not materialistic because if you have that kind of relationship you only want those things if they are God's will and they fit into His plan for you. We know that His plan, whether it includes our dreams, is always better than our own. And we also realize that often those dreams come from God himself.

And so last night for the first time I wrote down prayers. Not those in a crisis, for the immediate future, or for someone else. I prayed for my future. For my family's future. For the desires in my heart. For the things that I can feel tugging at me. Most of all, for the things that I believe God whispered into my soul. I prayed for things that could happen in five, ten, or more years down the road.

Can I tell you how much hope flutters within you when you share that with God?  It gives you hope. It feels good to know that God loves you enough to hear all of your desires. Maybe this is something that you cannot do every day because there are so many important prayers that need to be said, but meeting with God once a week for these kinds of prayers would keep the hope floating strong.

 

**For your immediate and every day prayers please read this- I have quoted some passages from a book called Big God by Britt Merrick. Britt's daughter Daisy's cancer has returned for a third time. They did surgery today and the tumor was around her spleen. They are now waiting for histology. Please pray for Daisy and for the family. Her last clean scan was only 5 months ago. Praying for a miracle. To see more go to prayfordaisy.com. She will steal your heart. My little family started praying for Daisy together tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment