Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 257 - A pretty amazing reminder

Yesterday's post was about feeling spiritually dry. I'm not even sure why I used the word "dry" but that's the only way I could explain how I felt with the busyness of life. When I went to write today's post I didn't know what to say, my eyes went to my prayer journal and I opened it up to this.

Feed the hungry,
   and help those in trouble.
Then your light will shine out from the darkness,
   and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon.
The Lord will guide you continually,
   giving you water when you are dry
   and restoring your strength.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
   like an ever-flowing spring.
-Isaiah 58:10-11 (NLT)

I have opened the Bible to random pages before, hoping God would talk to me that way. It doesn't usually work. But today was one of those lucky days when God needs you to know something. And you know what he needed me to know, that just opening my books isn't going to fill me up spiritually. That I need to feed the hungry and help those in trouble. I need to "do" not just read. It's no coincidence that just this morning, after reading an article that bothered me, I said to myself that I need to find what it is that stirs me. An issue, a group of people, a cause that I can stand up for. I want to find whatever that is and get moving. I just haven't figured it out yet.

After I started writing this post I felt compelled to see what came before this verse and so I went back to the beginning of the chapter. You can read it all here. God answered my post about being dry, but he is also speaking to my stirring soul. To the part of me that doesn't know what I should be doing. And He is telling me just to do anything. To free those wrongly imprisoned, listen to others burdens, share our food with the hungry, give shelter to the homeless, give clothes to those who need them, help family members, and stop pointing fingers and spreading rumors. He is telling me (and you) to just do something. Every single day.

So today I will be going to the store and filling up a grocery bag or two for the food bank that fed us when we were down. This week I will be doing all of the things I keep saying I am going to do, but never get to. I feel like God opened my eyes and is telling me that I can't just wait around trying to figure out my passion, there are so many thing I can be doing every day and that is how he gives you water when you are dry and restores your strength.

A pretty amazing reminder.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment