Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Day 270 - Time

My calendar is ridiculous. It also becomes more ridiculous with every passing day, especially when appointments and agendas get moved because all three kids have been sick for days. Yes, true story. It's just life.

Back to my calendar, did I say it's ridiculous? Because it is. But that's not a good thing, it's not a bragging thing, and it's not special. It's commitments and "have to go to's." We have a bunch of those right now. And that's okay and fine because everything works out in its own time. I didn't use to understand that, but I do now. It all works out somehow.

But here is the thing, more on my calendar, less time for other things. Things like reading, praying, reflecting, teaching, and loving. And there is nothing good about that. It's so easy to make excuses about how busy you have been, but there is a book right beside me with God's word in it and I need to make sure that I pick it up and nourish myself. Right now. And so do you. Just pick it up and go, no matter what time it is. Don't let God get stuck in your commitments.

Last Sunday at church my pastor spoke about using our time to do things. Like looking at You Tube videos and other nonsense. I felt like he was talking to me. I don't have a lot of time for nonsense, I rarely watch television, but I find that I get easily distracted with online news and Facebook. I waste time. So this week I have been making an effort that as soon as I realize I am wasting time, I get on track and do something that needs to be done. I have a lot of things that need to be done. I am behind in my life with blogs to be written, bills to be paid, emails to be sent, flyers to be made, and commitments to be kept. I need to take back my time so that I can thrive without feeling overwhelmed and guilty. And you know what, it's working. I am still buried under a pile of things to be done, but I am not adding anything to the top. And if I keep this up, the load will start to dwindle and I will be free.

Time is an amazing thing. We need to give ourselves more of it. God deserves more of it too.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment