Friday, February 3, 2012

Day 34 - Grateful



My hubby told me that I have been having a pity party for myself, he's probably right. But, the whole point of this blog is to be honest and forthcoming with my feelings and my problems, and to spend a year really diving into hope and seeing what happens at the end. While my pity party is probably not very fun to read, it's a product of my changes, my faith, and my understanding of who I am and how God has decided to drastically change my life. After writing about My Year of Faith, I don't know how to be anything other than transparent. And, usually while I am writing about my shortcomings, I am hoping that there is someone else out there needing to know that they are not alone and that God can use whatever they are going through for good.

That being said... I know my pity party needs to take a break so I just want to list all of the things I am grateful for today. I started a gratitude journal after reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp and I am up to #162. Your life really changes when you start being thankful for all of the things you overlook in busyness and haste. Just thanking God for something in your frustration and anger really calms your soul. Makes you love more. Makes you see the bigger picture. Here are some of my favorites from my list of 162 (I am going to 1000).

1. Quiet nights to reflect
2. My children love me unconditionally, even on my bad days
3. The smell of clean laundry
4. My little boy's birthmark on his back
5. Finding beauty in something old
6. Driving into my parents' driveway
7. Promise of a new day
8. My oldest son's enthusiasm for life
9. Anything with stripes on it
10. Eating with friends
11. Sweetness of sleeping children
12. A view
13. That my kids love being at home
14. A cup of tea
15. Rainy days
16. Symbolism of a wedding ring
17. Pizza and ranch dressing
18. Cool breeze
19. An undiscovered Bible verse
20. Gracious opportunities
21. My daughter's dainty kiss
22. Blessings in all forms

How can you not have a good day when you begin it by thanking God for all of the small things? All of the little miracles in our life that He has given us? Just for breathing every day? Even in your worst times, keep God at the center, and He will get you through it. He will give you 1,000 reasons to smile, laugh, and to be happy. Don't blame Him for your misfortunes; just thank Him for all that you do have. For those babies in their beds, those friends in your life, and for the hope of a future full of wisdom and grace.


 

1 comment:

  1. I AM THANKFUL FOR YOU!!! (yes those caps are on purpose as I am internally screaming that to you...baby is sleeping...shhh) ;) xo

    ReplyDelete