Friday, February 17, 2012

Day 48 - For others

Last night in the midst of working and blogging, my littlest one woke up inconsolable and would not go back to bed without me. I tried everything. I still had so much work to do and I certainly wasn't ready to call it a night just yet. But in the end I turned everything off and went to bed. Life still unfinished for the night.

A Year Full of Hope is only on it's 48th day, and yet I am learning so much about life as a human being and how to succumb to the knowledge that it's not all about me. I know we all know that, but it's natural to care about our own needs and desires because that's who we walk around with all day. It's natural to try and finish our own to-do list before we commit to helping anyone else. It's natural to keep ourselves inside our own little circle of life instead of reaching far into the place that makes us vulnerable and a little scared. But that's just not what God commands us to do. He doesn't command us to live a comfortable life centered on our family and choice of friends. He desires us to use the best of who we are and to contribute to the world. To serve other people. To turn off our busy life to be available to whomever needs us, and at any time. Even late at night when we have unfinished business.

Right now I am working on being available to others even if I don't feel like it. Even if I am tired. Even if it's a little inconvenient with my schedule. I'm pretty sure God doesn't care about our perfectly planned day. And in reality, the best parts of life come from being blessings to someone else. I am certainly a work in progress in this area because I tend to naturally want to be in a comfortable place. But sometimes God commands us to leave our comfort for someone else, and I want to learn to be faithful to that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment